Baldwin accu-hitch pins

Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:04:06 -0800

Dale:

I believe the Baldwin instructions call for setting the bearing at zero =
degrees to begin with.   After pulling the piano to pitch you then start =
at the bottom of the tenor (no bass strings yet).  Tap down note 21 - 35 =
to 1/2 degree, 36 - 53 to 1 degree and 54 - 88 to 1 1/2 degrees--in that =
order.  Thus, the 1 1/2 degrees that you set the upper range to is on a =
semi-compressed board, at least to the degree that setting the bearing =
on the previous sections will compress it.  So notes 54 -88 are actually =
set at greater than 1 1/2 degrees if you were measuring from the point =
before the board had any downward pressure it.  Moreover, if you were to =
go string by string, the measurable bearing after you got to the top =
would be something less than your initial target.  The question seems to =
be, when the board is already set with some bearing, but perhaps the =
wrong bearing, how do you approach the problem?  Can you simply go =
through and correct the bearing to read 1/2, 1, 1 1/2 degrees =
respectively?  I often wonder whether we fret over this a bit too much.  =
I've heard good sounding boards with a variety of downbearing =
measurements.  Though I have not heard one of David Hughes' boards, the =
impression I get from him is that we sweat over this a bit more than is =
necessary.  The factors that go into a good sounding board are obviously =
greater than just the bearing measurements.  Teasing out the variables =
is difficult, to say the least. =20

David Love

  ----- Original Message -----=20