Baldwin accu-hitch pins

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 19:42:51 EST

In a message dated 1/19/2002 3:22:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cmpiano@attbi.com writes:

> Subj:Re: Baldwin accu-hitch pins
> Date:1/19/2002 3:22:15 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:cmpiano@attbi.com">cmpiano@attbi.com</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> Dale,  I'm trying to set bearing on a modified Emerson.  Modified for
> accujust hitch pins.
>
> From a friend I borrowed the Baldwin instructions.
>
> Briefly:::   Without bass strings installed, string treble and set bearing
> to (zero) with strings at pitch.  No load on board.
> Now set specified number of notes starting at bottom to 1 div (.5 degrees).
> Number of notes depending on model of piano.  Then next group of notes to 2
> div (1 degree).  Then the last group to 3 div (1 1/2 degrees).  Lastly
> install the bass strings and set at pitch to 1 div (.5 degrees).

   Carl --with what device are you measuring with. May be that's part of my
confusion. lack of info.

> Then I see a note saying -Quote-
>
> A bearing value, previously set, cannot be rechecked because the
> accumulated force of all strings on the bridge will lower the soundboard
> and reduce the settings which were originally set.

> Pianos equipped with the vertical (acu-just) hitch pins are designed to
> function with a minimum positive bearing at the bridges, compared with
> other pianos with string rests and angled hitch pins.    Unquote!!

> Now if I designed something that had to be adjusted and then couldn't be
> checked, I wouldn't admit it.  Just how do you design a piano to not need
> much bearing?  Sounds too much like advertising garbage mouth to me.  Like,
>  "Our piano is so dam good that we don't need so much stinkin' down
> bearing."

  Hey--Maybe that's why so many Baldwins sound so dang aweful. Not enough
bearing.

>  Carl says
> I'm impressed with the idea, but I'm amused at the rhetoric.
>
>   Me too but
 I think I figured out how iId set it. I would guesstimate some intial
setting then I would adjust it untill I'd get a lowell gauge reading similar
to what is normal on other pianos with decent crown. 12 to 15 thou. on a
fully crowned board