Baldwin accu-hitch pins

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 19 Jan 2002 20:46:21 EST

Subj:Re: Baldwin accu-hitch pins
Date:1/19/2002 3:28:10 PM Pacific Standard Time
From:<A HREF="mailto:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net">davidlovepianos@earthlink.net</A>
To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
Sent from the Internet

       Dale:
> I believe the Baldwin instructions call for setting the bearing at zero
> degrees to begin with.   After pulling the piano to pitch you then start at
> the bottom of the tenor (no bass strings yet).  Tap down note 21 - 35 to
> 1/2 degree, 36 - 53 to 1 degree and 54 - 88 to 1 1/2 degrees--in that
> order.

at least. Wow 1/2 half degree isn't much for starters on a board with real
crown values. An easy way to calculate 1&1/2 degrees of bearing is to measure
the rear string length from the front bridge pin to the aliqot i.e. measure
any tenor back scale length say of 6 inches. Multiply by.026 = .156". So 1/2
degree would only be .50. It would be easy to deflect the whole central
portion of the  board by that much by just leaning on it with hand pressure.
By the way 1 degree is calculated by .017 times the length.

 Thus, the 1 1/2 degrees that you set the upper teble range to is on a
semi-compressed
> board, at least to the degree that setting the bearing on the previous
> sections will compress it.

  So notes 54 -88 are actually set at greater than 1 1/2 degrees if you were
> measuring from the point before the board had any downward pressure it.

compression. This would be barely enough pressure to"take the slack out of
the board " as John Hartman says ,let alone utilize all the crown that was so
carefully built into it. What I want is to press the board fimly so that it
is spring loaded enough to push back against the string. When this happens
the board are in firm resistance to each other and this is when I believe
that optimum power/sustain are approached, especially in new fully crowned
boards.  With respect to my method of setting bearing ,at the point the
Baldwin boards bearing is set is the point at which I would probably start
adding 1 1/2 degrees of bearing but not exeeding 1/4" on the longest string
lengths.

       Moreover, if you were to go string by string, the measurable bearing
after you got > to the top would be something less than your initial target.
> The question seems to be, when the board is already set with some bearing,
> but perhaps the wrong bearing, how do you approach the problem?

  >> I agree.  A bit of a sticky wicket

Can you simply go through and correct the bearing to read 1/2, 1, 1 1/2
degrees

.
chance to change one of these and  improve it in the process you'd answer
your own question.

   I've heard good sounding boards with a variety of downbearing
measurements.
> Though I have not heard one of David Hughes' boards, the impression I get
> from him is that we sweat over this a bit more than is necessary.  The
> factors that go into a good sounding board are obviously greater than just
> the bearing measurements.  Teasing out the variables is difficult, to say
> the least.

board project? There are several obvious primary factors that we all consider
essential. Good construction,materials ,crown ,adequate bearing,reg. and of
course voicing.
     Davie Hughes and have talked bearing at length and our methods are very
similar if not identical. His boards sound very fine. Wonderful sustain and
color.  I have to say he may have been understating it a bit.
    Bearing/plate set up setting in my shop takes a good long time as I
consider it a VERY primary and critical component of making the whole system
work well. I've looked at a lot of  torn a part pianos over  the years and
90% of those that I liked the best had significant even  measurable bearing
and crown. The other 10% are anomallies. I.e  Board stiffness due to mass not
crown or bearing
   I"ve also had the advantage of a few less than stellar results (which is
aggravating) that I could lay at the feet of uneven or inadequate
bearing/panel compression that when remedied the tonal results were greatly
improved.
  To me a new board with inadequate bearing is like a fine new car wth only a
gallon of gas in the tank. It won't take you very far.
  Thanks again for enlightening me to the Baldwin method. I now have a better
grasp of there concept though I consider it misguided.

     Best---Dale Erwin