Soundboard Pre-Stressing/Downbearing, was: Baldwin accu-hitch pins

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 09:34:06 -0500

I have always been curious about the soundboard pre-stressing method of =
targeting downbearing, but when I ask how much to push the soundboard =
down, I get answers like: "enough", "not too much" and the like. The =
idea of getting a feel for how much the soundboard will deflect under =
load I should think would help target proper downbearing Now I see here =
we are using some numbers. This is a good thing. You say David Hughes =
deflects the board 3mm at the center strut. You state that you drive =
wedges under each strut. How much do you deflect the board at each =
strut?

Now the other question I have is that I assume the reason one would =
pre-stress the soundboard is to incorporate into your work how much the =
soundboard will deflect under load. But if you deflect the soundboard =
3mm or whatever, wherever, for any given soundboard, what does that do =
for you (i.e., you are pushing a stiff board 3mm down, and you would be =
pushing a highly flexible board 3mm down - under strung conditions, =
obviously the flexible board would deflect more under final strung =
downbearing)? You could simply calculate the needed angles without =
pre-stressing the board. Now if you could pre-stress the board with =
downward pressure approximately equal to that of the final string =
downbearing in the various regions of the scale, then we would be truly =
simulating the soundboard's reaction to the strung-up load and =
accurately calculate our desired string downbearing angles, etc. Of =
course to do this we would need some sort of pressure gauge/device.

What about a rig similar to a pneumatic rib clamp. Just use the half =
with the fire hose. Clamp it to the rim above the bridge, inflate, and =
there you go with measurable pressure applied all along the long bridge =
in much the same manner as downbearing would be once the piano is =
strung. You could also use four segments of fire hose to apply =
appropriate variable pressure to each of the four sections (and one on =
the bass if you want to do that). The result would be a board stressed =
in very much the same manner as it would be after stringing. Then you =
could set your downbearing exactly where you want it, armed with the =
knowledge of exactly (or there abouts) how much the soundboard will =
deflect!

So now, readers..........you are thinking one of two things: Either =
Terry Farrell needs to get his head screw on properly, i.e. it's a dumb =
idea, or it sounds like a great idea, now go try it Terry and write us =
back. So what do you think?

Maybe it is the case that with a given soundboard construction, the =
boards are consistent enough to yield predictable result when =
pre-stressed 3mm or whatever. Is this the case, and thus would yield a =
more accurate pre-stressing a waste of time?

I guess I'm just thinking and probing for information. Any input would =
be appreciated. I realize the thing to do is put in a couple dozen =
boards, try some different methods, and see what happens. But boy oh =
boy, that will be years, and I would fear, some tears. I'm just trying =
to arm myself with as much info a possible before I screw up too darn =
many pianos.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20