Sound waves(a neat experiment)long

Sun, 20 Jan 2002 20:16:12 +0100

Thanks Keith for these words echoing other recent requests to treat with each
other with the patience and respect that is in keeping with the goals of this
list as a valuable resource for us all.

Just after reading this, I received a very straightforward explanation from one
of the most renowned physicists working in the field of music instrument
acoustics today.  Three such individuals have replied and there is a high degree
of similarity in their answers to an identical question about how sound boards
function. When I get permission to reprint his reply I will do so. I will say
that his explanation is very largely in line with that of the proponents of the
bridge motion theory, with some few but significant points of exception.

His explanation to me more then anything else demonstrates value in meeting each
others thoughts and modes of conceptualization at least  half way before typing
off harsh replies or expressions of what one self means to "know" about the
subject.

As is to be expected, no one was completely "right", yet some were more "wrong"
then others... as if any of that matters in the first place. I will post it if I
get permission too. But once again I want to say I am glad, despite any and all
hindrances, that this list exists as a place to sound ideas and get impulses and
input that provoke further investigation into ones existing perceptions and
ideas about the things we work with everyday.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.