Baldwin accu-hitch pins

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Sun, 20 Jan 2002 20:10:57 -0800

Dale, from your post I assume you assume I'm working on an upright.  =
It's a grand.  I'm using rocker gauges, Lowell. and Baldwin gauges.  No =
consistency.  and a real pain to measure.
Just makes me think about a better way to check downbearing.
I'm waiting for inspiration.  I'm not holding my breath.

Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG
Santa Clara, California
cmpiano@attbi.com=20

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 19, 2002 4:42 PM
  Subject: Re: Baldwin accu-hitch pins

  In a message dated 1/19/2002 3:22:15 PM Pacific Standard Time, =

    Subj:Re: Baldwin accu-hitch pins=20
    Date:1/19/2002 3:22:15 PM Pacific Standard Time
    From:cmpiano@attbi.com
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

    Dale,  I'm trying to set bearing on a modified Emerson.  Modified =
for accujust hitch pins.

    From a friend I borrowed the Baldwin instructions.

    Briefly:::   Without bass strings installed, string treble and set =
bearing to (zero) with strings at pitch.  No load on board. =20
    Now set specified number of notes starting at bottom to 1 div (.5 =
degrees). Number of notes depending on model of piano.  Then next group =
of notes to 2 div (1 degree).  Then the last group to 3 div (1 1/2 =
degrees).  Lastly install the bass strings and set at pitch to 1 div (.5 =
degrees).

     Carl --with what device are you measuring with. May be that's part =
of my confusion. lack of info.

    Then I see a note saying -Quote-

    A bearing value, previously set, cannot be rechecked because the =
accumulated force of all strings on the bridge will lower the soundboard =
and reduce the settings which were originally set.

    Pianos equipped with the vertical (acu-just) hitch pins are designed =
to function with a minimum positive bearing at the bridges, compared =
with other pianos with string rests and angled hitch pins.    Unquote!!

    Now if I designed something that had to be adjusted and then =
couldn't be checked, I wouldn't admit it.  Just how do you design a =
piano to not need much bearing?  Sounds too much like advertising =
garbage mouth to me.  Like,  "Our piano is so dam good that we don't =
need so much stinkin' down bearing."

    Hey--Maybe that's why so many Baldwins sound so dang aweful. Not =
enough bearing.

    Carl says
    I'm impressed with the idea, but I'm amused at the rhetoric.

      Me too but

  I think I figured out how iId set it. I would guesstimate some intial =
setting then I would adjust it untill I'd get a lowell gauge reading =
similar to what is normal on other pianos with decent crown. 12 to 15 =
thou. on a fully crowned board

    I haven't felt too spunky the last few days so I'm still adjusting =
the bearing on this Emerson.  I've noticed that when I started I found =
some bearing with a regular rocker gauge, but no bearing with either the =
Lowell gauge or the Baldwin gauge. Both are a pain to use.  I want to =
look into that.  When I get it fingered out, then you'll all get the =
finger. Grin.  --------- Carl

      Carl, As I see it you've got your own stiky wicket as most =
uprightswere designed to have little or no crown. Now what do you do =
with the acu-just? I would opt for the baldwin spec on the upright board =
,which is as you say nominal.  Most uprights have little crown(usually =
none) and little bearing and many still sound pretty good. It' a mostly =
mass driven system or not much stiffness due to crown compression or =
bearing load.
       Best-----Dale Erwin