Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 20:13:52 +0000

At 8:29 PM +0100 1/21/02, Richard Brekne wrote:

>Otherwise I can confirm that the terms "Bending" and "Flexural" seem
>interchangeable enough, but just about everywhere I look they refer to a
>transverse wave when they are, and I have yet to find them concretely
>defined as a purely compressive wave.  Could you provide some suggested
>reading that directly makes these assertions then ?

Well, try reading my message where I make a very clear distinction
between a bending wave and a compression wave.  I'm hardly likely to
be looking for sites that define bending waves as purely compression
waves when it is quite clear from everything I've written that I
don't see them as such myself.  I have not even referred to them as
quasi-longitudinal:

At 11:38 AM +0000 1/21/02, John Delacour wrote:
>And yes, a Bending Wave is not a Compression Wave because there is a
>clear distinction between them just as there is between a Transverse
>Wave and a Bending Wave.  The fact that there may be transversally
>moving particles in a real compression wave and locaslized parallel
>disturbances in a grand piano string is irrelevant.  We have here
>three distinct phenomena with three distinct recognized names to
>identify them.

I get the impression from your reply that you did not read my message
but simply imagined what I might have written!  What I wrote concurs
in most respects with what Anders Ankenfelt wrote, though I have
taken issue with the term "transverse bending wave".

Please read my message thoroughly.  It is the least respect you can
pay to someone that has gone to the trouble of typing 10,000
characters for your amusement!

JD