Baldwin Accu-Just Hitch Pins--General Information

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:08:11 EST

In a message dated 1/21/2002 10:40:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,=20
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> Subj:Baldwin Accu-Just Hitch Pins--General Information=20
> Date:1/21/2002 10:40:39 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF=3D"mailto:pianobuilders@olynet.com">pianobuilders@olynet.com<=
/A>
> To:<A HREF=3D"mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Dale, Carl, et al,
> .
>=20
> Mostly, how much loading any specific soundboard must have is a function o=
f=20
> how massive and how stiff the soundboard assembly is. This is not a=20
> universal constant. Dale=E2=80=99s string deflection numbers would not wor=
k( at?)(=20
> did you leave the at out?) all for one of our boards. As to whether they=20
> would work for one of Baldwin=E2=80=99s current boards=E2=80=94I cant say.=
 With the=20
> Accu-Just system Baldwin has used a fairly light crown radius=E2=80=94
>=20

  Del--Just so it doesn't appear that your dismissing my downbearing=20
deflection no. derived from the experience myself and others out of hand, le=
t=20
me Re-state that these no.s are real do work well in NON--REDESIGNED=20
soundboards, which I must point out most of us are doing. I think I was=20
fairly specific as to the type of replacement board application that these=20
numbers do commonly work in.=20
  These values of downbearing  work well for me on 60ft. rib crowned=20
boards(treble radius are tighter) but with some modification of the system o=
f=20
prestressing, I suggest the procedure could be applied to many if not most=20
soundboard systems that exhibit some stiffness as they're being test loaded.=
=20
Obviously totally flacid or under crowned systems woulf require a different=20
approach.
  Perhaps you'd like to share what values you consider workable in a=20
non-redesigned rib crowned soundboard system ? Or in your design system for=20
that matter.
  I was trying to give some others who asked what is rather typical ways of=20
setting bearing and some numbers for downbearing that many people I know=20
consider usual.

        Dale Erwin