Baldwin accu-hitch pins

Carl Meyer cmpiano@attbi.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:10:33 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20

  Is that really what it says? The bubble gages I used at the factory =
were supposed to be calibrated to indicate a deflection of 17 minutes of =
arc which was supposed to translate to 0.5% string downforce. I.e., with =
a string having, say, 175 lbs of tension a bubble gage deflection of one =
gradation indicated a string downforce of 8.75 lbs. I have to admit I =
took the above at face value and didn't do any checking to verify, but =
that, at least, was the theory.

  Del

  Thank you for that post, Del.  Finally the plot thins.

  The sheets I borrowed include figures 1 thru 6.  Although no mention =
in the text refers to angle but mentions divisions, the pictures of a =
bridge and the gauge clearly show and say that 1 division equals 1/2 =
degrees bearing.  I don't know how to type the symbol for degrees so =
I've spelled it out.=20

  There is also an 8 page  discussion of downbearing by Alan Vincent and =
it does show the relationship as you noted.  Yes, one division is 17' of =
arc and he lists one division as .5% on the last page.

  The first page of the instructions entitled "Procedure to establish =
proper down bearing of strings on bridges of Baldwin Grand Pianos =
designed with hollow vertical (Acu-just) hitch pins." gives the =
procedure and contains the conclusion that I mentioned about not being =
able to recheck and that statement I attributed to advertising.  =
Attached to this sheet were the drawings of the gauge and bridges with =
the labels that are obviously in error.

  Thanks for clearing this all up.

  Regards

  Carl Meyer  Assoc. PTG