Soundboard Press

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 22:35:25 -0600

>Thank you Ron N. for the reference to the Clair Davies soundboard press
>article. Looks like a good system. You mentioned that your gizmo differs a
>bit from that in the article. What are the major differences between his and
>yours?

Hi Terry,
Sorry, been busy the last day or so. The neighbors had company Sunday
afternoon, and the kids that were banished to the front porch to fend for
themselves spontaneously decided it would be fun to break 20 window panes
in our house while we were gone. As of about 6:00 pm this evening, we're
weather tight again. I hope they are as glad as I am that I didn't catch
them in the act. They are alive, and I am not incarcerated.

Our world's future...

The major difference is that I built mine of maple rather than yellow pine,
and cut reasonably accurate radii in the cauls rather than making them
straight and relying on whatever flex in the caul the hose air pressure
supplied for crown. I also don't use any sort of mounting frame for the
clamps, but just let them go where the board takes them when the pressure
is applied. No problems.

>How about the Davies pheumatic bridge-to-soundboard press? Looks like
>another good system. Waddayha think of it? I like the way that he gets equal
>pressure to all areas - between ribs, etc. - of this joint. Seems pretty
>slick. Comments? Has anyone built anything like this? How does anyone else
>apply pressure to this joint?
>
>Terry Farrell

I see no reason whatsoever for the rib press. I attach mine with Titebond
and sheet rock screws, centered between ribs, with soundboard buttons. No
other clamps. Functionally, this is about as low criticality a glue joint
as you will encounter in anything you will ever build if you prove to be
immortal. A bridge press is massive overkill in my opinion.

Ron N