Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:17:11 -0600

>Has it occurred to you why he says "tries to drive" ?  If it
>succeeds, why doesn't he just write "drives..." or "directly
>drives...", and if it succeeds, what earthly cause or need is there
>for the bending waves?

Of course it occurred to me. And where might you possibly imagine these
bending waves to come from if not from the strings moving the bridge?

>Now I suppose you are going to tell me that the sound-board of the
>pianoforte moves the wire threaded through the building and the wire
>threaded through the building moves the resonance-board or violin
>plate, and that this it does directly.

Of course it does. What would preclude this?

>I have previously mentioned the cocoa-tin telephones of my childhood
>with no reponse, but you'll probably find Wheatstone and Rayleigh
>less worthy or your contempt.
>
>JD

I thought it was inescapably obvious that one moving diaphragm will pull
and move another connected to it by a taut string. What is the point?

Ron N