Baldwin Accu-Just Hitch Pins--General Information

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:49:25 EST

In a message dated 1/21/2002 10:35:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,=20
pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> Subj:Re: Baldwin Accu-Just Hitch Pins--General Information=20
> Date:1/21/2002 10:35:32 PM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF=3D"mailto:pianobuilders@olynet.com">pianobuilders@olynet.com<=
/A>
> To:<A HREF=3D"mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> =20
> >> ----- Original Message -----=20

   I think possibly you were confused about the order of subjects under=20
discusion over the weekend. They did get convoluted and went from one thing=20
to another. The Baldwin board specs were hashed out some and then it went on=
=20
to the topic of setting crown in new boards, so you may not have picked up o=
n=20
the sequential discussions of this thread. That's why your post struck me th=
e=20
way it did. I didn't mean to necessarily relate those downbearing numbers to=
=20
the baldwin system but to a fairly typical 60ft. crowned board with rib=20
dimensions the same or similar to what ever the original heights were. This=20
type of board is pretty common in shops across the country (as you know) and=
=20
is probably where those asking the question will start at. Hence my reply.=20
Perhaps my post was confusing.
      The prestressing method itself was what I wanted to make a point of an=
d=20
as you say the bearing values will change given a host of different factors.=
=20
Although this method is old perhaps there other methods as well that I would=
=20
certainly enjoy hearing discussed.
     I apologize for bristling a bit. The rest of you post was well taken an=
d=20
clear enough.

                                                        Best--Dale Erwin

>>> Dale, Carl, et al,
>>> .
>>>=20
>>> Mostly, how much loading any specific soundboard must have is a function=
=20
>>> of how massive and how stiff the soundboard assembly is. This is not a=20
>>> universal constant. Dale=E2=80=99s string deflection numbers would not w=
ork[at]=20
>>> all for one of our boards. As to whether they would work for one of=20
>>> Baldwin=E2=80=99s current boards=E2=80=94I cant say. With the Accu-Just=20=
system Baldwin=20
>>> has used a fairly light crown radius=E2=80=94
>>>=20
 Del--Just so it doesn't appear that you're dismissing my downbearing=20
deflection no. derived from the experience myself and others out of hand, le=
t=20
me Re-