verituner corrections/ pitch raises

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 20:51:50

Hi all,

It's a common misconception that the verituner "learns" more with each
tuning.  Once a tuning is completed, if all the notes were "heard"
completely, no further information will be taken at later tunings.  Think of
an empty cup; once the cup is full, no more can be put into it.  So it is
with the verituner.  If there was incomplete information taken at an earlier
tuning, (visible on the display)  then, and only then will the verituner
adjust the tuning based on new information.

So, if you believe that tunings need to change with the seasons, start fresh
every time.

Now, about that pitch raise stuff.....

>From what I've heard, people unhappy with the pitch-raise function have all
used RCT first. Verituner does a good job, when compared to just an average
overpull.  I think what people are experiencing is the "target" shifting
during the first pass.  Because the VT is recalculating the tuning as you
go, things shift a bit. So, I've decided to pre-sample.  The closer I want
the pitch-raise to be, the more I sample. It takes about 4 1/2 minutes to
sample most of the notes from the bottom up to around A6. It's time well
spent for me, because like Paul, I got used to RCT being able to "hit the
target" with the first pass. (too bad the target's in the wrong place on
those challenging pianos)

Also, you can watch the overpull, and average in your head as you go.  It's
still not as gracefull as RCT, but I'm getting better at it.  I can get in
and out of the house in an hour, with two passes.  I actually like the
"primitive" needle-type display for pitch raises, because it helps me keep
moving quicker.  Sure, I was slower to start, but each time I changed gear
it took a while to get up to speed.

The next update is scheduled for Feb., adding PC support.

The really cool thing that I've been experimenting with is:

piano-driven-tunings

Normally, a stretch is pre-determined by the machine (many variables
offered)  With the verituner, I can specify which intervals to BALANCE
between.  Octaves (2:1, 4:2, 6:3) doubles, triples, all user configurable
(at different points throughout the keyboard) to have the machine listen to
each piano and let the piano determine where the tuning will go.

Fun!

Ron Koval