Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:42:39 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

John Delacour <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk> wrote:
> Here's a "neat little experiment", as the fashion is, quoted from the
> first chapter Lord Rayleigh's "Theory of Sound" (quite a pretty
> little tome of some renoun):
>
> >7. The conveyance of sound by solids may be illustrated by a pretty
> >experiment due to Wheatstone. One end of a metallic wire is
> >connected with the sound-board of a pianoforte, and the other taken
> >through the partitions or floors into another part of the building,
> >where naturally nothing would be audible. If a resonance-board (such
> >as a violin) be now placed in contact with the wire, a tune played
> >on the piano is easily heard, and the sound seems to emanate from
> >the resonance-board. [Mechanical telephones upon this principle have
> >been introduced into practical use for the conveyance of speech.]

That's really cool. I'm picturing an interesting application for it: You
have a piano player at some fancy party in some old mansion. And you use
this system to bring the "background music" to the other rooms. In each
room, something like a violin body is installed up near the ceiling. Wires
from these sounding boxes run through the walls and eventally make contact
with the soundboard. This would be a permanent installation, and you could
always hear the piano music throughout the mansion if you wanted to.

Charles