Baldwin Accu-Just Hitch Pins--General Information

Tue, 22 Jan 2002 22:28:48 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org ; Davehugh@email.msn.com=20
  Sent: January 22, 2002 9:50 PM
  Subject: Re: Baldwin Accu-Just Hitch Pins--General Information

  .
        I read John Hartmans articles on the subject in the journal and =
no disclaimers there as to the specifics you mentioned.  I read all of =
Nick Gravagnes info on the subject many times as to the 1& 1/2 degree =
method which doesn't really work. No disclaimer there and yes I used =
that for a while with less than satisfying results. My point is that =
unintentional dis- information occurs unfortunately.
Now, see? That's just what I mean. Obviously Nick's specification worked =
for him using his boards, his process and his shop conditions. There =
was/is enough different in what you were/are doing to make the results =
less than satisfactory to you. From his perspective it probably wasn't =
disinformation.=20

        Although prestressing isn't as sceintific as measuring rib =
height ,tension, beam strength, and resultant angle of deflections for =
bearing values , it does work. But that's not to say that I'm =
uniterested in calculating bearing in that manner. I just haven't gotten =
there yet. I would love to compare the end results using both methods =
and will.
I wasn't suggesting that you should measure all this stuff. But, I'll be =
you compensate in some manner for it all. Whether you do it consiously =
or intuitively is another issue.

       As a matter of interest to me we both stated we would apply more =
bearing on the Baldwin system than the factory specs. suggested. The =
accujust info. was concise.

Well, I have had a bit of experience with them, albeit some time back. =
(And I'd also like to see a bit more crown in those ribs.)

Del