Baldwin Accu-Just Hitch Pins--General Information

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:50:21 EST

.> >>

  Del---I'll take the above as a compliment  as well as an admonition to be
careful about what I'm trying to convey. Your point is well taken here and in
re- reading the posts I can see how  the misconception or misapplication of
what it was I said could be taken as Gospel. Even with all efforts made at
being as specific as one can it's amazing what people thought you/I
said.(self included). Obviously it was not my intention to mislead. It is
obviously a complex subject and is  difficult to cover all senarios and
situations.
   I confess most of the rebuilders market is 90% Steinway rebuilding and it
probably would have helped a bunch to at least state that this is my point of
reference when setting bearing. This method has nuances and modifications
that can vary given many factors as you pointed out even among Steinways
  Disclaimers like," this is only one (very common) method" or "don't try
this at home unsupervised" or some such would be appropriate.
   That being said pre-stressing the board as part of setting bearing in some
form is being used by a whole lot of guys and it is important information for
the technical community to know as "one way to do it".
    I read John Hartmans articles on the subject in the journal and no
disclaimers there as to the specifics you mentioned.  I read all of Nick
Gravagnes info on the subject many times as to the 1& 1/2 degree method which
doesn't really work. No disclaimer there and yes I used that for a while with
less than satisfying results. My point is that unintentional dis- information
occurs unfortunately.
   It  was John Hartman who first exposed me to the pre-stressing idea and it
revolutionized the way my boards sounded. I just wanted to contribute this
idea to those who wish to short cut some of their learning curve.
    Although prestressing isn't as sceintific as measuring rib height
,tension, beam strength, and resultant angle of deflections for bearing
values , it does work. But that's not to say that I'm uniterested in
calculating bearing in that manner. I just haven't gotten there yet. I would
love to compare the end results using both methods and will.
   As a matter of interest to me we both stated we would apply more bearing
on the Baldwin system than the factory specs. suggested. The accujust info.
was concise .
   I appreciate your contributions to the list very much . Thanks

     Best Regards--Dale Erwin

            Do you not vary these figures when confronted with a piano having
a partcularly long or short back scale lengths?> >>
 Are they the same for each make or brand of piano that you do? Are they the