Anders Askenfelt On Pianos

Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:22:22 +0100

Robin Hufford wrote:

> Richard,
>      I have owned the Five Lectures on the Acoustics of the Piano for some 8 or 10
> years now, and been through it many times.   When I entered into this discussion,
> I was aware of Askenfelt"s views on some aspects of the subject of pianos,  at
> least as indicated in the "Five Lectures", through the article he co-authored with
> Jansen which is concerned principally with an analysis of the action and the
> effect of the hammer on the strings.  Little, if anything, is said in this article
> about soundboard
> behavior.  In general, though, the tenor of the book, here and there when the
> subject is taken up, is that the bridge is moved by the strings. Some may consider
> this temerity on my part, but my position was taken with a ready familiarity to
> the views expressed in this collection of lectures, and I maintain it still.  To
> now find a statement from Professor Askenfelt supporting this view is no surprise
> to me, nor, for my part,  is it conclusive.

Well, of course Professor Askenfelt's views taken by themselves are not conclusive.
But when taken with Dr. Russells views, and with that of Rossing and Fletcher, and
that of four (now) other men of their calibre in this field I have to allow myself to
be swayed. I cant see that your arguments are supported by any data or hard science.
And I cant see that you have provided more then speculative argumentation in the end,
tho I will be the first to admit that it has all been very interesting and I am glad
for the chance to have heard these views presented and argued. But I think to be
honest, that if you are going to show that literally all the major acousticians who
have written on this subject are wrong, then you have quite a task ahead of you. No
doubt you will be able to find varying opinions also in that field. And I will be the
first to acknowledge that what is "known" today has this nasty habit of turning out
flawed tommorrow, also in the world of physics. That being said, I find Askenfelts
answers to my direct questions, along with the other information I have assembled and
attempted to digest quite convincing.

>        I am sure many of the conventional thinkers so antagonized by any other
> point of view will find themselves vindicated here; they could have quoted from
> the book to support their position that some motion occured at the bridge;  but
> that would not have been convincing to me as to the origin, periodicity and extent
> of this motion and the nature of energy transfer at the string/bridge interface.
> Nor, it would seem, is this subject contained in your answer from Askenfelt.  I,
> therefore, don't consider this matter at all put to rest.  I don't wish, of
> course,  to get  in a kind of contest of "authorities" but would suggest, that you
> take in hand some of the references from which I have quoted, upon a request from
> Phil, a week or so ago.  You will find a different view expressed there.

I have, and I dont see where a different view specific to these exact questions are
presented. Tho I will look at them again just to see.

Dr. Askenfelt answered my question very directly.  I presented him with the two basic
views argued, along with my own speculations about quasi-longitudinal waves, and he
ruled out the those and the compression view.

>    Hall says" we know that the bridge moves" without analyzing this motion.
> Weinrich, in the opening part of his article qualifies his approach with this
> sentence "To the best of my knowledge, in all musically useful string applications
> the dominant mechanism of string damping is motion of the end supports, that is,
> coupling of the bridge to the soundboard.   This is an evident qualification.  I
> make no assertions concerning his reasons noting only the qualification of the
> statement.
>      I am aware that there is no consenus of opinion, among authors of books on
> wave mechanics and physics,  although many support, at least theoretically, the
> view I that I have upheld here and  in which I I continue to believe.   The
> difference of opinion which is the present controversy,  exists, also in a much
> more intensively studied subject, that of the violin.

I beg to differ. Physics books dealing with wave mechanics and the physics of musical
instruments seem to all agree on this issue in the end. At least in the 4 books I have
all are in aggreement.  There are statements in each that easily can be interpreted to
mean other things, and the most difficult of these is the one sentence in McFerrins
book (which is by far the weakest treatise on the acoustics per se of the instrument)
I quoted earlier. Still, the overwhelming bulk of my readings and experience point in
one direction.

I think we gotta yeild on this one Robin. In anycase until someone can present some
decisive evidence as to why we should not. And heck.... we picked up on a few
interesting and new (at least for some of us) facts. For the moment, its time to call
it a day. Again.. this is not about being right or wrong... its about learning.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.