more on piano-driven-tunings

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:59:30

OK, let's see if I can 'splain this one.

The idea started in my mind with Bill Bremmer mentioning in his directions
that he likes to balance between a 6:3 octave type and a 4:2 octave type for
the temperament section.  AHA........ so instead of "guessing and checking"
different tuning styles to match a piano, set up ratios of different
intervals that should balance each other.

While experimenting, I decided that a true 50-50 split worked on many
pianos, but was a little wide for the smaller ones.  I've settled on a 60-40
split, favoring the 4:2 octave width.  Then it's just a matter of deciding
what intervals to balance in the different section of the piano.  I'm
currently trying:

temperament 60/40 split between 4:2 and 6:3
up to A5 - 50/50 split between 4:2 and 4:1 double octave
up to A6 - 40/40/20 split 4:2/ 4:1 and 2:1 single octave
up to C8 - 60/23/17 split 4:1/ 2:1 and 8:1 triple octave

down to A1 - 75/25 split 6:3 and 4:1 double octave
down to A0 - 55/45 split 6:3 and 10:5 octave

The verituner smooths the transitions from one ratio to another.  Still a
work in progress, but so far it's helped the pianos "hang together" from end
to end with a nice blend.

Any other suggestions to try?

Ron Koval
Chicagoland