more on piano-driven-tunings

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 22:00:36

SNIP>
Regarding your octave widths outlined below. Are these preferences that you
can program the Verituner to do? Thanks. I'm contemplating purchase of a
Verituner. Right now I am using a SAT III.

Terry Farrell
SNIP>

Yes, that is correct.  There is a user-definable custom mode that has plenty
of options.  Not having any experience with a SAT III, I don't think I can
help you there.

*************

The tuning puzzle.
  Have you ever seen one of those puzzles that all the pieces look alike?
You get part-way done and realize that you have to start all over.  That's
my take on tuning "challenging" pianos.  By the time you start running into
trouble, you've got a lot of time invested in the tuning, not worth the time
to start over, (how would you know what to change?) so just shift a few
notes, make it sound as good as possible and blame a "bad scale".  I _think_
(not sure) that by taking all those samples, especially the wound strings,
the Verituner is able to better make compromises across the scale to help
the instrument sound better.
I do know that when I graph the calculated tunings, they are not a smooth
curve, like the other machines.

Hmmmmmmm......

Searching in Chicago

Ron Koval