Moisture control of soundboard wood.

Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:28:02 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>; <mpt@talklist.com>
Sent: January 23, 2002 10:08 PM
Subject: moisture meters

> Greetings once again,
>     I am spending much time of late thinking through the soundboard
> making and installing process. It seems to me that even though the Sitka
> I have purchased and may one day actually receive has been kiln dried. I
> do not know what it's moisture content will be and how whatever level it
> is presently at will affect my efforts. It occurs to me that I might
> want to obtain a moisture meter to test the wood throughout the process.
> Are there any recommendations as to either the need and or the model or
> style meter one should buy? I'm looking for the most bang for my buck.
> (aren't we all) I hope to use it for many other woodworking items as
> well. Do any of you have opinions on how well the needle-less ones work
> vs. the traditional needle type? Any light you could share would be
> helpful.
>
> Greg
> --
> Greg Newell
> mailto:gnewell@ameritech.net

You are correct--the wood you receive may have most any moisture content by
the time you get around to using it. It was processed at between 6% and 7%
MC but it won't stay that way.

Forget about the traditional wood moisture meters. None of them--I repeat,
NONE, regardless of their technology--give reliable readings at or below 6%
MC. If you intend to use one of these things for other purposes, go ahead
and find one to suit your needs, but the best way to control the MC of your
soundboard spruce is to keep it in a climate controlled environment. This
doesn't have to be elaborate. A simple box made of plywood or waferboard
will do. It will be easier to heat and control if it is insulated some. A
small space heater or baseboard heater will do for heat, though I'd rig up a
somewhat better thermostat than comes with most of them. You're going to
want to monitor both temperature and humidity and compare these to the
various charts that will give you the resultant wood MC.

There is one such chart listed in the U.S. Forest Products publication,
"Wood Handbook--Wood as an engineering material." This book is available
from the U.S. Government Printing Office or online at
    http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/FPLGTR/fplgtr113/fplgtr113.htm.
If you don't have a copy of this book, you should either purchase one or
download the pertinent chapters to your hard drive and keep them handy. In
fact, you should read and have a fairly good understanding of chapters 1
through 4 and chapter 9. This is pretty basic information about wood and
wood technology. And, being the result of your tax dollars at work it is one
of the few publications on the internet that you can copy and reproduce with
impunity.

Regards,

Del