Refinishing Warning

Howard F Jackson hjackson8@juno.com
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 11:42:24 -0600

Terry,
It sounds like the lacquer dried too fast and trapped moisture inside.  A
little retarder would probably solve this, however if the finisher sent
this back to you as a sample of his work, I believe I'd look elsewhere.
 Howard Jackson

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002 09:31:37 -0500 "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
writes:
> I have a rosewood square grand to refinish and have been considering
> subbing
> it out. Got a few estimates. Gave one guy the music desk to refinish
> so that
> he could provide me with an example of his work.
>
> My general experience with the quality of refinishers has largely
> been
> whether they rub out the final finish or not, and how well they
> remove any
> orange peel, etc.
>
> I picked up the music desk at this shop yesterday. Looking at it in
> his shop
> it looked nice. Not rubbed out, but a nice smooth satin finish.
> Something
> looked a bit funny about it, but I told him it looked good.
>
> Got back to my shop and compared it to a piece of rosewood I had
> applied
> some tung-oil-based varnish to. OhmyGod. What a difference. His
> piece was
> milky - it looked like it was finished with 2% fat milk rather than
> varnish
> or laquer. Horrible, horrible, horrible. You could see the rosewood
> grain,
> but it was translucent rather than transparent. I had never seen
> anything
> like it. They guy would not disclose his product used or his
> methods. I
> would kind of like to know - just so I avoid ever wasting my time
> with it.
>
> FWIW - make sure you see (and preferably can keep) a sample of your
> refinisher's work.
>
> Looks like time for another wrestling match with refinishing!
>
> Terry Farrell

Howard Jackson, RPT
Registered Piano Technician, Piano Technicians Guild
Monroe, LA   (318) 388-4879
e-mail: Hjackson8@juno.com