Celeste service

Michael Jorgensen jorge1ml@cmich.edu
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 08:39:32 +0000

Well Said Rob,
      We've got a "Junko" too.  Every rotten item you list is true about
ours.  The very foundation consists of warped pine, pressboard, and
stripped screws.  Had to back it with plywood so it doesn't rack into a
various parallelograms.  Hammer strike point  is important but I can
only get it right on some notes which have twice the volume and sustain
as neighbors.  It works, although horribly, with a lot of jury rigged
parts, and much time.  Regulation consistency--- Forget it!
      I hear the cost of a new celeste is astronomical.  Seems like
somebody could make a living building these, at a fair price that is.
Conductors want a new one, but others faculty say it's not worth it to
be able to play "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy".
-Mike