pin comparisons

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 20:55:06 +0000

At 9:24 AM -0800 1/25/02, larudee@pacbell.net wrote:

>It's not just the difference in the amount of string moved per degree of
>rotation.  It's also the the amount of flex in the pin, the torque exerted by
>the string tension, and the increased block friction required to overcome that
>torque.  All of these factors combine to make a difference.

A very important factor to me is the freedom of the string between
the pin and the top bridge or stud.  On many pianos, even with the
original pins, there is very little space between the wire and the
coils of nearby pins.  The piano is often designed with the first pin
size in mind and no allowance is made for multiple restrings.  There
is a good reason for this, since to allow for larger pins will entail
a significant widening of the case.

The result is that if you string with a pin say three sizes up, the
wire near the pins is going to touch the wires nearby or curve round
the coil of a nearby pin.  Not only is this ugly but it can also
interfere with tuning.  That's not to say I'd renew a plank simply to
avoid this (relatively minor) consideration.

JD