Celeste service

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:22:16 +0000

At 8:39 AM +0000 1/25/02, Michael Jorgensen wrote:

>       I hear the cost of a new celeste is astronomical.  Seems like
>somebody could make a living building these, at a fair price that
>is.  Conductors want a new one, but others faculty say it's not
>worth it to be able to play "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy".

Our orchestra, the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, has two celestes,
a Schiedmayer and a Mustel.  I've had to mess about with both of them
in the past and they're both junk.  I suspect all celestes are junk.
Since the sound of a celeste is so easy to synthesize and simply no
one is going to be listening for the "unmistakable tone of the
Cremona celeste", I just can't understand why they don't burn the
things and use a Casio keyboard or something.  Some of the second
violins would probably sound better for a similar change!

JD