pin comparisons

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 07:04:45 EST

Greetings,
 Dale writes:

>>To my mind it doesn't really
matter how   .   big the pin is, within reason  a no.1 thru 4 pin as long
> as they render easily in the    block. know what I mean.

    I think so.  I have continuing on with my dial indicators and weights and
vise in the shop.  Today, I anchored a pin (.271") in the vise and hung ten
lbs(which is far more force than I would ever put on a pin with my
outstretched arm)  on a 10 inch moment arm.  Movement at the top of the
threads was .0045".   I then used a 4/0 pin, (.291") and it flexed .003".
Tomorrow I will have the time to see what kind of torque reading I can get to
confuse myself with.  Given the amount of pitch change to be had without
moving the pin in a usual Baldwin block,  there has to be a lot of give in
the system SOMEWHERE!
  Perhaps we could get some sample equations from you number monsters out
there.  How many thousandths of an inch of string movement are requred to
create enough additional tension to overcome the friction in an agraffe?
This isn't a trick question, I'll never even try to solve it on paper.

>> If I pin a new
> block with number ones and they're to tight it 's still hard just as hard
> to tune as the too tight no.4 >>

        While I like experimenting as much as the next person, I am finally
satisfied with my pin/block/drill combination.  The D at Vanderbilt tunes
like a dream.  I used 1/0 pins from Pianotek in a Steinway plank.  I drilled
it with a new "C" bit in the bass and middle section, switching over to the
"D" bit for the last two octaves.  After two years, the torque has remained a
around 120 in/lbs in the bass, and a little less than 100 in/lbs in the top.
Not a single jumping pin in the piano.  I don't notice any additional flex in
these pins compared to 2/0.  However,  the older D with the 4/0 pins does
have a bit more rigidity,(which is good,because it is a tight block).
   Contrast this to our brand new D.  The tightest pins in the piano are in
the top octave!  Geez, and I have to live with this.  There is no need for a
jumpy pin with 150 in/lbs torque in the top octave of a piano and  I consider
it an artless stringing job when it makes tuning unnecessarily hard for us
tuners.  I am beginning to understand why some older rebuilder/techs  I know
eventually got to where they only tuned their own rebuilds
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT