temperaments: meantone - don't try this at home

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:15:18 EST

Charles asks:
<< In the notes to one of his CD's, Ed warns not to try the meantone "at
home" because it will destabilize the piano. He mentions that the piano
used for the recording was restrung afterwards.

What's the problem with it? Does it alter the overall tension too much?
What would the consequences be? >>

The strings were old when we started. That the meantone changes will affect
string level, while also seeming to "saw" their way through the agraffes when
brought backup, is reason enough to caution against 1/4 comma on a home
piano.  Also,  I didn't want potential customers out there to get
totallyturned off of non-ET because of a 41 cent wolf.
    The overall tension didn't seem to change much, but there were a lot of
notes that didn't get stable for several tunings.
Regards,
Ed Foote