pin comparisons

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:20:44 EST

Dale questions:
<<  Now I'm curious. If I used any thing smaller  than .250 to drill no. one
pins in the buldoc blocks I'd be hatin life. Are you perhaps running the
drill speed slower or are you just stronger than Me.?Slower speed usually
nets a looser fit. I've been currently running drilll speeds of 1200 to 1400
rpm.<<

   Well, I'm big but I'm weak (:?}}}
    I have the rpm at 1000 rpm for the Steinway block.  This slower speed
increases the chip retention in the flutes, so  I usually drill half way,
lift the quill, then go all the way through.  The Bolduc I used last seemed
to be about identical.
      I think that the feed rate is more important than the rpm, though.  As
you increase the feed, you increase the "wander", so a careful hand can
graduate the torque as you approach the top of the piano. I do this by using
a faster feed as I reach the upper part of the "C" range and then again as I
do the last octave or so.  A niggling point perhaps, but I live with all of
my blocks, they become the pianos I also tune,so I really want them to be
comfortable and durable.
Regards,
Ed Foote