Satin Finish Cleaning/Rubbing

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:28:07 -0500

I have a little piano in my shop. It has a satin laquer finish that appears
to have been sprayed on, but not rubbed out. It looks good - I guess it was
done about ten or 15 years ago. There are several large areas that appear to
be dirty - but I don't really know whether it is dirt or something funky
going on with the laquer.

I'm pretty comfortable with a gloss finish, but I have never messed with
satin. I want to start with the least intrusive/most gently approach. I
suppose this would be cleaning. Any suggestions on a safe cleaner? Anything
beyond a soft cloth and water? Maybe some dilute Murphy's Oil Soap? If
cleaning does not work - is there anything else that can be done - rubbing,
etc.? I can't imagine anything safe. Anyone??? Thanks

Terry Farrell