Satin Finish Cleaning/Rubbing

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:14:05 EST

Terry:
Water will not hurt lacquer. First I'd try to clean with maybe dishwashing
detergent and water...dampen cloth and rub.....then clean water and dry. If
that doesn't clean it then try cleaning with mineral spirits or Naptha. Just
wipe with cloth soaked in either and then wipe with dry cloth. Neither will
damage lacquer. Now to the chemicals I have found will damage lacquer if not
used properly. If you believe you are dealing with wax buildup and neither
mineral spirits nor naptha will cut the wax, I have used windex with ammonia
BUT I spray and wipe dry immediately, clean with water and then dry again.
You need to try a very small spot first. I would save this last technique
when all else fails but remember you can rub hard enough on satin and end up
with a shine. Lacquer thinner and alcohol will damage the finish. Don't use
these two unless you are planning on wet sanding and respraying. I hope this
will help. It is hard to diagnose without seeing. 0000 steel wool soaked in
steel wool wax rubbed the complete lenght of the lid in light strokes will
reduce the gloss and give it a rubbed look with very light stratches in the
finish. On the other hand if you rub the entire length of lid with 400 grit
sandpaper soaked in water or mineral spirits then this technique will also
give a rubbed look. Each is different and usually done on gloss or semi-gloss
lacquers. I would only attempt to clean this finish before I started the
rubbing. I hope this helps but maybe I told you more than you really wanted
to know therefore totally mixing you up. Sorry. If this finish has never been
rubbed you will never get it to look the same by any rubbing. It will have to
be just cleaned or sprayed to look exactly as it did when first refinished.

Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.