Estey lyre support rods

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 20:05:52 -0800

>This time the piano was wobbly. A 1923 Estey baby grand <snip>
>They also lost the Lyre support rods. Were those made from dowel stock?
>Looks like a socket for a rounded end or did I look too quick? What would
>have been the original wood they were made out of? I prefer to duplicate
>original if possible. Were the sockets lined? Felt, buckskin? Are the
>Shaff brass rods the only other option? Thanks for your experience.
>Keith R
>Associate PTG

Well, Keith, it's hard to tell exactly what was there to start with, unless
you just happen to run across another Estey grand. But while I've found
some Aeolian grands with plain dowels for lyre props, most sticks I've seen
were either turned on a lathe (thicker in the middle), or square in
cross-section and tapered, so they were thicker in the middle and tapered
on the ends. Then a round would be turned on the last few inches. Look at a
Steinway to see this style of lyre prop. Also, there is sometimes a little
bead or two in the thick area of the middle, or a little ridge. Late 19th
century grands could have more elaborately turned lyre sticks, but by 1923
they probably were fairly simple.

Of course, most of this is just for decoration ... but if the woodworking
doesn't scare you, it can be fun to do something like this. Stain them dark
and put some sort of varnish on them. Hardwood is sturdiest, but maple
doesn't take stain well.

To get them the right length, I make them a little long, and then with the
lyre installed, I use a short telescoping curtain rod, putting it into one
end hole and pulling it out until it touches the other. Then I mark where
the curtain rod overlaps itself, with a magic marker. At this point, I can
remove it, pull it back out until the mark is seen, and lay it next to the
lyre prop to mark where I should saw.

Hope this is some help. Of course, you can just use those short brass
braces which screw into the posts and the keybed, but while they work they
don't look original at all.

Susan Kline