Piano electric soundboard [Fwd: Re: just guitars?]

Mon, 28 Jan 2002 09:36:07 -0800

OK. But how does this compare with the electromechanical driver (essentially
a heavy-duty loudspeaker driver) that Schimmel (I think) marketed for some
time--perhaps it is still available?--that is basically the same thing as
you describe? Except in this case the wood panel was left in the piano to
continue functioning as a soundboard. These things were fitted to both
vertical and grand pianos.

As I recall, you could input a signal from your stereo, keyboard or
whatever, to an onboard amplifier and use the soundboard as a speaker
diaphragm. You could then play along with the orchestra and have the whole
thing coming from your piano. As well, using your PianoDisc installation,
you could block the hammers and feed the midi signal into the device and
hear yourself play without any direct mechanical link between your fingers
and the soundboard.

It also sounds something like an idea someone at Baldwin experimented with
for a time. The idea was to use a pickup of some kind on the bass bridge,
amplify the signal and use it to excite an electomechanical driver attached
to the soundboard. The basic concept was aimed at making a spinet sound like
a concert grand by simply moving the soundboard a bit more. It didn't work,
apparently, (at least not with the intended results--something about
regenerative feedback!) and the idea was (mercifully) dropped.

And how does it compare to the Yamaha loudspeakers of, perhaps, 20 or 30
years ago which were essentially small, composite piano soundboards hooked
to an electromechanical driver, again much like a speaker driver on
steroids.

I'd like to see the patent claims on this 'new' development.

Del