My first Bosendorfer

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 20:04:46 EST

In a message dated 1/28/02 6:46:42 PM Central Standard Time,
drwoodwind@hotmail.com (Ron Koval)
 writes:

> Hmmmmmm..... Looking at those numbers, I'm having problems with the note C4.
>   It appears that there was a partial jump there.  Extrapolating the SAT
> calculation should be around 2.2 instead of -1.2.  This leaves me in the
> lurch for trying to figure out any offsets.  Just using the numbers and
> graphing them ends up with a tuning that doesn't appear to follow the aural
> directions for the EBVT.  If you could double check the numbers in your
> SAT,
> and make sure that they are all using the same partial;  I could go from B
> .

Yes, you are right.  The SAT figure for C4 was 2.2 but read on the 6th
octave.  The exam program reads on the 5th octave.  There are reasons for
both but I actually prefer the Exam program partial selection.  In order to
"score" my temperament, I needed to estimate the value that the note C4 would
have had being read on octave 5 but for your purposes. the 2.2 figure read on
octave 6 is probably what you need.

The Bosey figures did come out a little differently than other pianos
although I was very satisfied with the results aurally.  The customer wrote
back again.  Here is what she had to say:

<<One of my "ultra-professional" musician friends heard the Bosey Sunday, and
was rather stunned at the changes. And impressed; he liked them very much.
(Not that it matters who is impressed or not; the piano is here to please me
and my family.)
My confidence in you was based on my intuition; I operate heavily on it.
Yes, I read much of your website and related articles.  In addition to the
technical information, I was WELL entertained by the humor. Madison's culture
of disagreement on just about everything always interests me, and you put it
in its place!
Ann C.>>

There goes that word, "Stun" again as used to describe the effect of a
tuning.  I like it.  So, now it appears that not only the Verituner can
produce a "stunning" tuning, so can a SATII assisted aural tuning using the
Direct Interval mode.

I will be doing a recording session in a new studio here in Madison next week
for a local avant-garde composer who is using two pianos.  Also, a customer
of mine will be doing a recording in his home in March on his Kawai KG-5C
using the same recording engineer.  So, I will have a couple of CD's soon
from which I should be able to put samples of the EBVT on my website.  Up to
now, all I have are analog recordings on cassette which are far too warbly to
be suitable.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin