more reflections on Prinz

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Mon, 28 Jan 2002 21:00:12 -0500 (EST)

One of the most exciting things about the Pathetique in the Prinz is the
striking changes between pure harmony and disonance, especially in the
opening chords. OK, that's pretty much a paraphrase of Ed's liner notes,
but it's true. In particular, the third chord is a G major chord, which
has one of the most pure thirds in that temperament (second only to C
major which has a just third). Whenever G major is played, it just jumps
out at me. I had gotten used to how it sounded, then...

...then I tried to play it on my piano. I had just spent a couple days
practicing setting the temperament (ET, that is), so everything was pretty
good in the temperament section. I wanted to hear that pure G chord, but
when I played it... Yuck! What is that racket I'm hearing? It was beating
so much I figured one of the unisons got knocked out of tune.
Unfortunately, the G-B interval was beating at the rate it was supposed to
be beating at.

I guess I didn't know what I was in for, even after I read Ed's warning
(about habit-forming pure intervals) on his CD's. Life will never be the
same again.

Charles