Twisting bass strings

Erwinspiano@AOL.COM Erwinspiano@AOL.COM
Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:54:50 EST

In a message dated 1/29/2002 9:50:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

> Subj:Re: Twisting bass strings
> Date:1/29/2002 9:50:51 AM Pacific Standard Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:Wimblees@AOL.COM">Wimblees@AOL.COM</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

>              Wim& David

               I have had this discussion with G.C  Ari Isaac both. It is not
the bridge. The whole understanding revolves around the winding process and
how much the string is tensioned (elongated) during wrapping . How much
tension(elongation ( is apparently a fussy thng but generally what I've
discovered from experience and conversation with  Ari Isaac and Danny at G.C.
string, is that there are certain parameters that when exceeded affect how
tight the wrap is in compression against itself after it is tensioned and how
that  effect  sound. This is a conditin the effets primarily the tenor
supplemantels. The bichords I twist once the monos a half.
   If exceeded one way or the other the end result is either a string that
brightens too quickly but ends up buzzing soon or sooner ,or develops
falseness or lacks clarity. On the other end is just a string that never
comes up. If the parameters are reasonable the strings can be twisted the
usual one time and even if they don't brighten immediately my experience with
the G.C. string is that they will brighten within a day or so of being at
pitch. If they don't I have found an extra twist will do it. It's always the
highest string in the scale that is last to get there.
    The problem is in being patient and not having an immediate cow (like I
often have)
     This phenomenum is more acute on the small diameter copper wraps on
tenor supplemental sections. The smaller they are the more difficult it is
for any string maker to wrap them and make them sound clear and clean without
false beats.
    Danny has tried it many ways and has determined that this compromise
works the best in that the strings don't develop faseness and remain clear
and tunable long term. I have verified  this by following many of my own
rebuilds.
   As you can imagine Danny has had this discussion with countless people on
this issue. The way it all shake out is that he can make them brighter sooner
but with the increased risk of falseness and lack of clarity. I've encouraged
him to print a flier to send with the strings explaining the peculiaritys of
this phenomenum and hope he does.
               Clear as mud?