Twisting bass strings

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 09:23:56 +0000

At 8:24 PM -0800 1/29/02, David Love wrote:
>No, it's not the bridge.  I've spent a good deal of time
>reconstituting it (as it were), repinned, renotched, bearing reset,
>secured, etc..  Without twisting the strings, they sound totally
>dead, when the strings are twisted they do  come up and have quite a
>decent sound.  Other strings I've used don't require it and sound
>good straight on.   A bit of a mystery to me.

David,

I reprint below a message I wrote to the list four months ago.

I think the simple answer to your mystery is that stringmaker X is
pulling hard enough on the copper and stringmaker Y is not.  Last
week I got a call out of the blue from a guy in Scotland who set up
as a stringmaker four years ago and was having a problem with
dull-sounding thick single-covered strings. Apparently the strings
are not buzzing but people just say they're lifeless. I asked him to
describe his technique and from this description I knew that he could
not possibly be applying the proper tension to the copper, which is
really very high for the thick gauges.  I told him how to change his
practice and maybe he will -- if not, he will never make good bass
strings.

At 1:51 PM -0800 1/29/02, Carl Meyer wrote:
>Arledge says "no twist"  I think that is because he twists the core
>wire before winding.  He uses a motor on each end of the core wire
>that can be programmed to do whatever.  A servo controlled tension
>feeds the copper wire.

I mention pre-twisting as a possibility in the last paragraph of the
message below.  One thing I did not mention is the desirability of
straightening the steel wire, whether for bass strings or plain wire.
A set of bass strings should hang almost vertically.

JD