Abel Hammers and Yamaha Pianos

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:29:21 -0500

1979 Yamaha G3 - all original. Owner is an advanced classical player.

She likes the "mellow American" piano sound. I politely asked her about her
attitude toward getting an American piano. She said she will die with her
Yamaha. OK. Task: get the Yamaha to sound a bit richer, warmer, mellower.

I have heard a number of comments in the past of lovely effects related to
installing Abel hammers on Yamha grands. I have never done this. Although I
did remove a set of Yamaha hammers from a turn-of-the-century Balwin R and
replace them with a set of Abel lights with stunning results (one of the
best sounding pianos I have EVER heard).

Would anyone care to speculate or relate experiences with making such a
switch?

I recun' the thing to do, if it appears promising, is to get a set and
install a few and see what the heck it sounds like and whether the owner
likes it.

Terry Farrell