lotsa dampers

Brian Lawson lawsonic@global.co.za
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:30:30 +0200

Back in the 60's Knights were made here (Johannesburg) under license so I
tune a few - the K10 model. The most noticeable thing about their
construction is that they have no break in the treble,
so the plate is extra heavy with bracing elsewhere in its design, otherwise
even with the plastic key and action bushing I've found the actions no worse
than any other British made pianos.

(However the K9 is a real dog of a piano)

Brian

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clyde Hollinger" <cedel@supernet.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: 30 January, 2002 02:56 PM
Subject: Re: lotsa dampers

Tom,

Ron Overs refers to the Knights as quality instruments.  So I've heard.  But
my
experience with them has caused me to react with "Oh no not another one!"
whenever I meet one.  I only service about five (all verticals), and of
those
only one is close to working correctly.  And their construction makes them
more
difficult to service than most consoles, in my opinion (other than simple
tuning).

The decal under the lid says they are manufactured for the American market,
but
maybe they really didn't know what climate conditions would do to a piano
here.
It may also be that they should have had extensive dealer preparation that
they
never received.

In any case, I now have this handful of Knights that need total regulation
and
remedies of sluggish actions.  Unfortunately, doing the required work will
cost
as much or more than the value of the pianos, and the clients don't want to
part
with that kind of money on these aging instruments.  So, their quality
notwithstanding, I'd be happy never to see another one.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger