Twisting bass strings (physics)

Wed, 30 Jan 2002 19:55:34 +0100

Jason Kanter wrote:

> I've always wondered why you can twist the bass strings with obvious good
> results, but need be so careful to avoid twists in installing plain steel
> strings. "False beats!" was the warning.

I dont know about the false beats bit in plain strings. I did see an experiement
anyone can do tho... put enough twists on a plain string and it will start to sound
horrible.... but no-one goes around puting 5-6 or more twists on plain strings
anyways so it doesnt seem to be a real situation.

But as far as bass strings go, this is supposed to be unneccessary and can actually
be detrimental if you are using hex core strings, tho I forget exactly why the
later.. I will see if I can find that reasoning stuffed away somewhere in all this
stuff I have accumulated over the years. But in plain wire strings it can certainly
help. Tightens the wrap so to speak. Only if you wrap with the winding mind you.
The other way has the opposite effect.

Most usefull for temporarilly getting rid of buzzing bass strings, and sometimes
seems to help with some falsness. When I get a really bad pair or a nasty rolling
single I always give this a try just to see. Most often doesnt help, but when it
does... well it does. :)

> Now, after all this erudite hoo-hah about the physics of soundboards, I
> wonder if some of the scientific-minded might describe what happens to a
> string that is twisted, tensed, and struck? Clearly, twisting tightens the
> copper wrapping; but what does it do to the sound-generating qualities of
> the core (or of a plain steel string)? And how do "false beats" enter the
> picture?

Scientific minds ??? here ??? grin. I am reminded of an ape that sounded a lot like
John Clease.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.