Twisting bass strings (physics)

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:52:14 +0000

At 8:35 AM -0800 1/30/02, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

>Twisting a double-wrapped single one way will tighten the outer wrap and
>loosen the inner wrap. Twisting the other way will do the opposite.
>
>So which way, pray tell, is the 'right' way on a double wrapped single?

The tightening of the outer cover would tend slightly to crush the
inner cover if anything and certainly there would be no loosening of
the inner cover.  Your objection is quite specious.  I have never had
a case in 25 years of a new double-covered string giving a worse
sound as a result of twisting, and hundreds of other technicians
would report the same.

JD