Sound waves(The behavior of soundboards)

Robin Hufford hufford1@airmail.net
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:40:19 -0800

Ron,
     A longitudinal wave experiences reflection from a free end just a does a
transverse wave.  In a transverse wave reflection from a clamped end results in
a phase reversal, that from a free end does not.  Longitudinal waves are the
reverse.  Reflection from a free end results in a phase reversal, now expressed
in terms of a rarefaction and compression.  The compressive phase reaches the
end of the medium where it is not longer opposed by the physical
characteristics of the medium as had been the case prior to reaching the
boundary.  The force of the compressive oscillation causes the medium itself to
bend outward at the boundary resulting in a phase reversal in which a
rarefaction then proceeds back through the medium.  There is no need to posit
any kind of physical, substantial motion to account for the bouncing of the
fork.  In fact, such an idea is thoroughly erroneous.   The reflection from the
end of the fork causes the stress wave which is, in fact, what we are talking
about here, to demonstrate itself as a kind o displacement of the end.  This is
strain and does not require the fork to be moving to occur.  Such an idea is at
odds with every analysis of this subject.
     Now I find you using the very same models to demonstrate longitudinal
behavior which last month you claimed could not occur, practically did not
exist, and if extant, was of no consequence, including taking into account the
effect of stress on longitudinal wave behavior in a tuning fork.
Regards, Robin Hufford .