Touchweight query

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 07:30:37 -0400

Keith wrote:

> Terry & Keith R, I agree of the importance of key bushings. I would
> be interested, Terry, how you manage to precisely measure key bushing
> friction, though.

>From David Stanwood himself, here is his explanation:

Terry,

I published the method in the PTG Journal in my atricle:

"Standard Protocols of the New Touchweight Metrology"
PTG Journal February 2000

Excerpt:

"The new measurement called Key Friction Weight (KF) tells us precisely how
much of the Friction Weight is from the key bushings. Place the key on the
front weight jig and follow the protocol for measuring negative Front Weight
(FW).  With the key on the jig, place temporary weights on top of the key
and slide them back and forth until a position is found that makes the Front
Weight (FW) zero.  Then, without disturbing the position of the temporary
weights, place the key back on the key frame and push the back of the key
down onto the back rail cloth. Then find the minimum amount of weight placed
on the front of the key at the Measuring Point that causes the key to drop
(Fig 8).  Another way is to place the key on the frame and attach a key
leveling lead to hold the back of the key down. Then measure Up Weight and
Down Weight (with stack off) and apply the formula (DownWt - UpWt)/2.  The
value found is Key Friction Weight (KF)."

I usually do an alternate procedure that I find much faster and "close enough". It is basically the same thing David does, but just a bit less accurate, but much faster (for me anyway). I start with the stack off the keyframe, but keys on. Just add appropriate weigh to the back of the key so that the key balances. Then take a small weight, one or two grams and place it alternately on the front and back of the key and see that it goes all the way down in the front and the back. Very easy to see whether you are down to one or two grams friction. Like I say, David's method would be a bit more exact. If you take an action where you have not set balance weights equal, you will find that you are changing the amount of weight added to the key for balance with every key. When you do this to a set of keys where you have set the balance weights equal, you can jump from key to key very quickly with the same stack of weights, just moving them a tiny bit. It's a neat way to observe what magic you have done to the keys!

Terry Farrell