Tuning Square Grands/Tuning Hammer

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 11:23:20 -0700

All,
There has been much talk, lately, about the virtues of good tuning hammers.
Also, some about an extra long tuning hammer for tuning Square Grands. If'n
ya think about it, the extra long tuning lever, to be used on Square Grands,
is not the way to go. The longer the lever the greater the mechanical
leverage AND the lesser is the accuracy!
I use a standard tuning lever, (Hale), for tuning Square Grands with the
appropriate tip/head combination. When I tune Square Grands that have the
olde "oval" tuning pins, I use my 1900 Hale hammer with a double head.
As for kneeling or sitting to tune the Square Grand, that's just fine for
those who are NOT "height challenged". <G> As I stated in a previous post, I
have a former student/friend/tuner who definately falls in this category. He
sits to tune full sized uprights!
I think the bottom line is what ever is most comfortable for each individual
is the best technique. The olde technique of having someone sit at the front
and play the keys, while you sit at the rear and tune, doesn't really appeal
to me, but can be done, if you work at it. Seems to me that that technique
is asking a great deal of the client, unless you bring an assistant for that
purpose.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)