Slow hammer return

Joe And Penny Goss imatunr@srvinet.com
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 16:38:45 -0600

Terry, Goose Juice will maintain a piano with yearly treatments and since
the piano should be tuned at least yearly-------
Joe Goss
imatunr@srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com
----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 25, 2002 1:36 PM
Subject: Re: Slow hammer return

> If the piano has verdigris, I think the conventional wisdom dictates a new
action.

> If it does not have verdigris, I have had excellent luck shrink-treating
the action centers, and if needed, follow-up with Protek CLP, and if still
needed, naphtha and mineral oil. Seems to work well better than 90% of the
time.

> Shrink treating is wetting the action center bushings with a water/alcohol
mixture (ratios not critical, I usually go with about 50/50 - just so that
is soaks in readily - that's what the alcohol is for) and then letting dry
overnight. I usually put a fan on low and point it toward the action.

> Keep in mind, this approach is designed to restore FUNCTION. It is not
meant to obtain any given/preferred friction amount.

> Terry Farrell

return, which I think was caused by a floor humidifier.  I  heated the
hammer butt centers with a hair dryer, which freed up the hammers for about
1 hour. The questions is what do you think is the most reliable way to free
up sluggish hammers without replacing center pins or parts?  Should I use
silicone and naptha, alcohol and methanol or install a Dammp-Chaser heater
bar with a humidistat?