of Q-tips and bricks...was Night And Day

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:08:49 EDT

In a message dated 02/07/02 8:04:07 AM, antares@EURONET.NL writes:

<< OK, I'll shut up then. >>

Don't you dare.......................if'n y'all does yo hammer gonna fall
off......

There are soooo many hammer makers because there is such a wide variety of
tastes in initial tone. Perception of the installer has a great deal to do
with what is :
"too hard", too soft"... Oh to be sure there are objective measurements that
can be done...but we don't listen to measurements we listen to tone. For any
tech too say that a particular brand of hammer is too hard in general....is
in itself a 'perceptual' general statement that can be safely ignored.  With
most of the different hammer qualities being more or less mutually exclusive
one hammer can't be all things to all techs...........

 Voicing philosophy must come into play with each new set of hammers
installed and should be taken into account 'before' the hammer is purchased.
It is no secret that I use Abel and Renner almost to the exclusion of
anything else... I do so because to my way of thinking there is no finer
hammer on the market than one of these two.  Does that make me right and
everyone else wrong?...of course not.

  If your preference is to start with Q-tips and harden them to a usable
point ...then go right ahead and do so....
On the other hand if bricks suit you better...have at it.  Just bear in mind
that your choice does not nullify the choice of others, nor does it make you
right and them wrong. Jon says that he prefers to start with a firmer hammer
and voice down as opposed to a softer hammer and juice up and I agree with
him and that particular philosophy. As anecdotal evidence of the veracity of
this choice let me say that I have many, many, many sets of Abels and Renners
on 'performance' pianos and pianos owned by 'professionals' up and down the
East coast and I have 'never' been asked to change a set of hammers...I think
to find three sets with the same player says more about taste/technique than
it does about the hammers.

 As for "can't we get away from this".....no we can't..not if we want to
duplicate the tonal qualities of a particular instrument as closely as
possible....everything changes over the years of course but generally
speaking if we want a Hamburg to sound like a Hamburg than we need to use the
same thingees Hamburg used.  We can, however, use something different and
arrive at a verrry pleasing tonal quality that is 'different' from but not
needfully 'better' than the original.....

 Manufacturers use what they use because they get the results they desire
best from what thay use...if not, they will change what they use. Individual
techs use what they use for similar reasons....Your choice 'juice up' or
'voice down' butttt keep in mind 'your choice' is just that.
My view.
Jim Bryant (FL)