perfect pitch

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 07:52:44 EDT

Matt writesP
>In a discussion of perfect pitch, you shouldn't concern yourself about
>temperments.  I know that there are several temperment enthusiasts on this
>list, but in the real world, to most people,a Bb is a Bb and an F# is an
>F#.  Most people don't hear different temperments.

    Hmm,  I find otherwise. The vast majority of keyboard musicians I know
can instantly tell that a piano is not equal, however, that is not exactly a
definition of perfect pitch.  It is hard to find a good viola player that
will not notice the larger and smaller steps between the notes of a Young
temperament, (at least, around here). Granted, this is most noticeable
between the A (O deviation) and the A# (6 cents),  and between the B (-2) and
the C (+6).

>I have known several
> people with PP over the years and generally their resolution is not that
> fine - no one I met could ever tell that A is 439.5 and not 440, although
>I  have heard that there are such people.

I often ask those with "perfect" pitch to tell me if a note is on or off and
more than a few, but less than a majority can "feel" a note being flat if it
is 2 cents off of what they are used to.  I did have one student, an oboe
player, that could consistantly catch a 1 cent deviation.  I was amazed.
Regards,
ED Foote RPT