hammers

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:02:08 EDT

In a message dated 04/07/02 6:51:01 AM, cadunn@vt2000.com writes:

<< I have picked up the Renner and Abel are hard hammers and for many

folks, hard to set up. >>

Clair;
 Careful with what you let set up in your wet ware :-) .....to describe any
hammer as "hard" you must have a reference point. There is no reference point
for hammer "hardness" that I am aware of...sooooo it comes down to personal
experience, tastes and perception.

  To describe both Abel and Renner as "hard" begs the question as the Renner
is typically much softer than the Abel and produces vastly different tonal
qualities straight out of the box.

 Thankfully 'most' of the hammer makers today get the shape right and it is
typically in the pressing and felt quality where the differences lay. (I
think all the makers offer different choices of moulding material)

 What I am trying to say is that "hard" is relative and you should not allow
expressed "opinions" of hardness set up as 'fact' in your wet ware. I went
back over the posts on this subject and find that there were more who said
Abel/Renner were not difficult to work with than the ones who said they
were......opinons all, and each flavored by  individual taste, experience and
perception. Don't write excellent hammers off without forming your own actual
experience with them.

BTW, the Abel lights are an excellent choice for your Brambach. Of course
that is just my 'opinion'. :-)
Jim Bryant (FL)