convention sites (campuses)

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 09:02:49 -0400 (EDT)

 I think the campus concept deservese serious study.

 Rooms are set up for lecture, often with terraced
seating for improved visual lines, blackboards,
screens, and overhead projectors on site.
   The music department would have a proper chamber
hall, for better concert acoustics then a convention
room.

   A music department usually has plenty of pianos
on site, in a variety of conditions. Perhaps this
makes it possible to do some on site major repair
that is due anyway, and coordinate its timing with
the convention. I think the on site, hands on, or
a real project ongoing is one of the most valuable
possibilities. We had Bolduc put in a soundboard,
bridge caps, and pinblock in an upright in 1.5 days
in Ottawa. With a 4.5 day convention one could
rebuild and finish the entire thing on site with
a well coordinate team effort.

   Pianos on site means less piano moving, perhaps
less cost.
   Dorm rooms are cheap.
   I'm sure exhibit space can be found, as a campus
will have several large spaces, one of their gymes,
or a large, wide, long, hallway out fount a series
of classrooms.  A trip to Banff would be a blast,
I'm sure many a campus would have its own lure.

                Worth thinking on
                Cheers
                Dave Renaud
                RPT, Canada