Hammers

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:55:26 -0700

Clair,
Typically Ronsen Hammers are "softer" than most other hammers. Ray, at
Ronsen, offers two types of felt. One is American made and the other is
European made felt. If I were replacing hammers on a S&S, I usually would
choose the European. If I were replacing hammers on a Brambach, (I own one),
I would choose the softer American felt and play it in, then voice to taste.
I've been using, almost exclusively, Ronsen hammers for 30 years. The
company has had it's ups and downs, in quality, but they are the hammer that
gives me the tone I and my clients prefer.
During a class, many years ago, it was stated that whatever hammer you
choose, will be fine, as long as you know how to work it to produce the
result you want. And, as you gain experience with that choice, you will feel
comfortable with the characteristics of that maker's hammers. In short,
experience will be the best criteria.
The main choice you need to make is: do you want to voice UP or do you want
to voice Down? (no set of hammers is acceptable "out of the box", IMHO.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)