convention sites (campuses)

John Musselwhite john@musselwhite.com
Thu, 04 Jul 2002 09:48:24 -0600

At 06:10 AM 04/07/02 -0500, Clair wrote:

>My first vote goes to Banff -- can anyone think of a more
>spectacular place for a PTG convention?!!!!
>I'll trade a ritzy, overpriced hotel for breakfast in the Rockies
>any day. And we can get there by train!

Unfortunately, the only passenger train that goes through Banff (and
Calgary) now is the Rocky Mountaineer, which is somewhat like the famed
"Orient Express" as far as the prices and service goes. It is extremely
expensive (in the thousands of dollars) and from what I understand you have
to do the whole trip, not just from Calgary or Vancouver to Banff. From the
Calgary airport it's an 80 minute bus ride to Banff, though.

The Banff Centre is a great setting, with lots of pianos, an excellent
workshop and some of the most spectacular scenery in Canada. I've never
been very happy with the food there, but there are lots of places to eat in
Banff that are within walking distance of the Centre.

Calgary also has the Chinook Keyboard Museum, a collection of hundreds of
pianos, organs and even synthesizers that reflect the development of
keyboard instruments from the 1700s to the present including a beautiful
and playable reproduction of a Cristofori.

So my first vote would be for Banff as well. Bring it on!

                 John

John Musselwhite, RPT    -     Calgary, Alberta Canada
http://www.musselwhite.com  http://canadianpianopage.com/calgary
Pianotech IRC chats Tuesday and Thursday nights and Sunday Mornings
http://www.bigfoot.com/~kmvander/ircpiano.html