self tuning piano????/Ron Nossaman

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 11:17:12 -0700

You are, as usual correct. But, one of the premises of tempering or
annealing is: heat/cool, heat/cool, heat/cool, etc. This process, (so I've
been told), is dependent on the cooling process and the amount of heat.
Slightly heating steel over and over will tend to anneal, (soften), and can
cause the strength to deteriorate. I don't know if 95 degrees would be
enough to do this, but without a consistant cooling medium, I think that it
might. On this mechanism/piano, I think that only time will tell.
As for me, I don't percieve this as a threat to my livelyhood, but rather
consider it an oddity of our industry's on-going R&D, albeit, a little
wacky, IMHO.<G>
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)